Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Gluten Free Dairy Free Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos


NOTE: Rice cheese (Aromatic brand) has casein in it. Which is a milk protein. So, read your labels if you need it to be 100% dairy free. Try almond or soy cheese. Or no cheese at all. Some can tolerate a small amount of casein but not milk.

Could the name get any longer? But I'm hear to tell you they are worth every bit of stuttering over their title. These were last nights an experiment while entertaining and the original recipe is adapted from Pioneer Woman's recipe only this is dairy free. Yes, they actually are good! So good that I had a few people try them and say they couldn't tell the difference, much. Maybe not quite as rich but they are still pretty yummo.

1 Tub or 8 oz of Toffuttis better than Cream Cheese. This is fairly soft already because it's not a block of cheese it's in a tub
1 PKG or 8 oz Rice Cheese. I used mozzarella because that is what I had
1 PKG Bacon
1 DZN or so Jalapenos
1/2 CUP BBQ Sauce (make sure it's gluten free)

Optional: chives, green onion or I used a couple dashes of Tastefully Simple's Onion Onion

  1. Slice Jalapenos in half.

  2. De-seed Jalapenos and wash. Let them dry a little while you get the cream cheese prepped. Recommend using gloves and try not to choke from the fumes. These are almost worse than onions!

  3. Mix Tofutti Cream Cheese and Rice Cheese and any of the optional items in.

  4. Stuff the peppers. There's no science to it just put the mix into these babies.

  5. Wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon. Or if your jalapenos are real small cut your bacon into thirds.

  6. Brush with a little BBQ sauce. I find this is also optional but it really helps that bacon to caramelize and taste goooooood. Here is a before picture.

7. Bake 350 for 30 minutes. This is where pioneer woman and I do it different...She cooks lower temp for longer. I have tried it both ways and they all taste good. I'm inpatient and want them sooner and they've always turned out.

Enjoy! And try not to eat them all in one whack because it's truly difficult.

2 comments:

  1. I soooo want some of that right now. Even though my taste buds aren't working :-( due to being sick. This is so delish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, they were hot (spicy hot!) but good. They'd clear those taste buds up. You should try them. I love them but since I found out I I am allergc to milk they didn't work til I made this recipe up. So good Claire, you gotta try them.

    ReplyDelete