Friday, February 19, 2010

Wheat Free Shortcake

I made this recipe adapted from Bobsredmill.com. The only thing I changed was on half of them I put jam inside and folded them over and they tasted sort of like a scone. The texture of wheat free/gluten free products are usually a little grittier but this was pretty good.

2 1/2 Cups Gluten Free Baking Mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 TB Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Milk or Water (I used 2% but you could use Rice, Nut or Soy)
1 Egg, Slightly Beaten
Jam (Optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a bowl combine sugar and baking mix.
3. In a separate bowl combine butter, milk and egg.
4. Combine all ingredients til moist.
5. Knead 10 times on a lightly gluten free floured surface. Roll out the dough 3/4" thickness.
6. Place shortcake on greased cookie sheet and bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve w/your favorite fruit and whipped topping or eat like a biscuit.

I think these could quite possible taste good as a cheese biscuit with herbs and cheddar mixed in. I will try it and if it's good I will post it.

Nutritional Information for 1 Shortcake:
190 calories, 9 grams of fat, 21 NET carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment